Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Literature Assignment

In a recent assignment in literature, I was asked to describe the "tone" of a paragraph. What is tone, I ask you? Here's the definition given: Tone - the feeling created by the use of language in a story. This was a fun assignment...but I really had to think about what I put down for an answer. I'd like to hear some of your opinions! Here's the paragraph I analyzed (much abridged):

(A Selection from Charles Dickens' Great Expectations)

What a doleful night! How anxious, how dismal, how long! There was an inhospitable smell in the room, of cold soot, and hot dust, and as I looked up into the tester (canopy) over my head, I thought what a number of bluebottle flies from the butcher's and grubs from the country must be holding on up there, lying by for next summer. This led me to speculate whether any of them ever tumbled down, and then I fancied I felt light falls on my face - a disagreeable turn of thought, suggesting other and more objectionable approaches up my back. Those extraordinary voices with which silence teems began to make themselves audible. The closet whispered, the fireplace sighed, (and) the little washing-stand ticked. At about the same time, the eyes on the wall acquired a new expression, and in every one of those staring rounds I saw written, DON'T GO HOME.

Now, what do you think of that? Please let me know your opinion of the tone, and five phrases or words that led you to this conclusion.

4 comments:

  1. Here's my opinion:

    This paragraph's tone is unwelcomingly suggestive of more than meets the eye. It is almost claustrophobic in nature!

    Phrases/words that led me to this conclusion:

    inhospitable; suggesting other and more objectionable approaches; voices...with which silence teems; anxious; Don't go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the person dosen't like bugs and dosen't want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phrase/words that led me to this conclusion: fancied I felt light falls on my face - a disagreeable turn of thought, suggesting other and more objectionable approaches up my back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've been enlightened! Thanks for sharing such deep emotional thoughts...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting "An Old Fashioned Girl"! Please leave a comment if you wish, and feel free to follow me! Have a great day.